Watch BornFree’s 1-hour long interview with top American Tekken player Speedkicks
BornFree sat down with Speedkicks at SCR to unpack a lot…
UYU’s BornFree recently sat down with top American Tekken player, Panda Global’s Stephen ‘Speedkicks’ Stafford, for an lengthy interview at Southern California Regionals (SCR). They discuss an array of topics, from the origin of his name, his newfound enjoyment of Tekken 7, Season 2, his favorite player of all-time and more. The interview is an hour long, so there is a lot to unpack and take away.
Here are the timestamps below:
- 00:00 Context: Speedkicks beats JDCR to advance to Top 8 Winners at SCR
- 00:34 Question/topic: Intro. Origin of name Speedkicks?
- 01:29 Question/topic: The game is more fun for you now. Why?
- 02:06 Question/topic: You are very analytical vs old school players who play more on feel. Do you feel there should be more analytical players in Tekken?
- 03:52 Question/topic: Some players really struggle with Tekken and others who just “get it”! What is that?
- 05:03 Question/topic: You are known for making notes in your notepad. What do you make notes on?
- 08:13 Question/topic: How has the Tekken scene changed since you first started to compete?
- 11:04 Question/topic: Why are you so happy with the recent balance patch? It’s more “immersive” overall / the game now feels SO GOOD.
- 14:10 Question/topic: Which characters got a good deal? Which characters got screwed?
- 15:10 Question/topic: Any characters who are unplayable?
- 16:27 Question/topic: Your history in fighting games? And getting good… Smash to SSF4 to TTT2. Was influenced by Evo Moment 37.
- 21:47 Question/topic: Proudest moment in career so far?
- 22:38 Question/topic: Do you like the Tekken World Tour format?
- 24:19 Question/topic: How do you feel about the strength of the US Tekken scene atm? And what do they need to do?
- 28:34 Question/topic: How do you feel about the game overall? What do you like? What would you like to see improved?
- 30:25 Question/topic: Tell me about your character. Will you drop Kazumi, and stick to Hwoarang? Why did you pick Hwoarang originally?
- 33:44 Question/topic: What’s your FGC unpopular opinion? Games now are harder…finding consistency.
- 35:43 Question/topic: Favorite player of all time?
- 37:31 Question/topic: Training schedule? Training while learning the game vs. now?
- 42:15 Question/topic: Many people hate the crossover characters. How do you feel?
- 44:35 Question/topic: What do you think of Season 2 returning characters and Neegan? Tekken 7 marketing?
- 47:30 Question/topic: Are there any characters in the game that you absolutely despise?
- 47:52 Question/topic: Any legacy characters you would like to see return?
- 48:43 Question/topic: Any other fighting games that you are interested in?
- 50:50 Question/topic: In the pursuit of fighting games has it taught you anything about life?
- 52:25 Question/topic: What sacrifices have you made in the pursuit of fighting games?
- 53:28 Question/topic: Have you had any difficult moments where you felt like quitting? How did you deal with it?
- 55:49 Question/topic: Do you have a quote or a mantra that helps you in life?
- 57:44 Question/topic: Do you play general video games? Which ones?
- 58:19 Question/topic: What are you interested in outside of video games?